Friday, September 30, 2011

Gratitude


My heart is full of gratitude this morning. I just visited one of my client’s homes, an addition project currently under construction. The project is turning out so beautifully! The owners have made such good decisions along the way, and the builder has done such a careful job of detailing. I looked at the flashing, the caulk, how the edges come together – everything, every corner is carefully built and the house feels solid and permanent.
The house is tucked back into the woods on a cul-de-sac, and in the new upper floor, the morning light just drizzles in between the leaves of the trees. The owners have chosen vibrant, rich colors for the walls. In the stairwell and main bedroom, the ceilings soar in curves and peaks. Large skylights bring in more filtered light, but more than that, they are actual WINDOWS to the tree tops.

The curved balcony on the exterior is just right – cozy enough to feel perfect for one person, but big enough for 4 to sit out there. It’s in the middle part of the addition, so it’s in the ‘lap’ of the house, but with such a wonderful view of the trees. If it snows this winter, that will be the place to be – a warm mug of cocoa and a seat out on the balcony.
So, as I start my work this morning, I feel so grateful to have the skills I have, but also to be chosen by my clients. It’s such an honor to be part of people’s lives when they are building, or adding on to their homes.

  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your writing!